If you are visiting Argentina and you love nature and landscapes, Perito Moreno Glacier should not be missed. Located in the Los Glaciares National Park in the south-west of Argentina, it is one of the most magical attractions in Argentina.Of all the 356 glaciers, Perito Moreno is the most spectacular one. It is spread across 5 km length and 60 mts above the sea level.This immense glacier is the world’s third largest reserve of fresh water.
Unique appearance of Perito Moreno glacier will make it one of the most outstanding and unforgettable experiences of your life.
While you will be able to find some tours of 2 hours, we do highly recommend to spend at least one full day getting lost in the mesmerizing beauty of this surreal glacier.
Here is our step by step guide on what to do in Perito Moreno Glacier? How to get to the Perito Moreno Glacier? Budget and accommodation recommendation in and around the glacier.
What to do?
There are 3 ways to experience Perito Moreno glacier:
- Boat Cruise – If you want to experience gigantic glacier up and close, you must take a boat cruise. It takes around 1 hour and costs around 30 USD. There are 2 boat excursions: one covering northern side and the other covering southern side of the glacier. Advance booking is not required for such a boat cruise. It can be purchased on the same day.
- Walk – If you do not have enough time to take a boat cruise, you can also experience the glacier from various viewpoints along the walkway. Walkways are well marked. It takes around 3 to 4 hours and the price is included in the entry fee of Perito Moreno glacier.
- Glacier Trekking – There are several companies which offer trekking on Perito Moreno glacier. Most of the tours take full day. This excursion normally includes sailing across Lake Argentino, landing on one of its shores and trekking on the glacier wearing crampons. You will be taken on a boat across the glacier. So if you are opting for this option, don’t take a separate boat cruise. No previous glacier trekking experience is required. Your guide will quickly train you how to walk using crampons.
IMPORTANT TIP: glacier trekking tour needs to be booked at least one day in advance. You are unlikely to be able to book the tour on the same day. Also it is a full day tour, so if you want to enjoy the walkway view, you need to spend 2 days in the glacier.
How to get there?
El Calafate is the nearest airport to take a tour to Perito Moreno glacier.
From town there are a few ways to get to the glacier.
- Bus tour – Cheapest way to reach Perito Moreno glacier is to take a bus tour, especially if you are on a solo trip. There is no public bus allowed to enter Perito Moreno glacier, thus bus tours are not very cheap (ca. 50 USD). In town you will find many companies which offer a day tour to Perito Moreno glacier. No need to book in advance, you can book when you arrive in town. Your hotel/hostel will help you to arrange the tour.
- Taxi – The other way is to book a full day taxi with a driver. It will cost you around 260 USD. But if you are 4 people, cost will come down to around 65 USD per person, which is not a bad deal considering you can visit the glacier at your own pace and you are not bound to a timeline.
- Rent a car – You can rent a car in town for approx. 100 USD and drive on your own. This option is cheaper than bus if you are travelling in a group of 3 or 4 traveller. It also gives you flexibility to stop anywhere on the way to Perito Moreno. The way is full of beautiful vistas.
Return journey on a bus tour – 50 USD
Entry to Perito Moreno Glacier – 25 USD
Boat Ride – 30 USD (optional)
Glacier Trekking – 150 to 200 USD (optional)
There are many options available in El Calafate. We stayed in Bla Guesthouse for 25 USD PP including breakfast.
This was an experience of a lifetime. We were in awe witnessing massive chunks of ice falling into the water after they were carved off the glacier. Experiencing the roaring sound with every fall of a huge block of ice was nothing but surreal. The glacier colors, appearance and cracking sound combined to make it such an incredible experience that we had to pinch ourselves thinking, is this for real?